How awful is it that now that we have real internet I have started slacking on updating this blog! Haha :) Well, here are the updates since the last time I wrote:
As usual, my life has been full of studying! This semester is pretty tough so I find myself putting most of my free time into studying ...but that is what I am here for! But of course, I do manage to have some fun ;) As I said in the last blog, I have been studying OVERTIME lately so that I have free time when our visitors are here. Sadly, my parents (who were supposed to be here this week) had to postpone their trip until April. But, since I had planned to take some time off anyway, Mike & I made the best of my free time and enjoyed the Heineken Regatta with some friends last Sunday. The Regatta is a HUGE annual sailboat race that lasts the whole weekend and all of the crazy nice yachts come into St. Maarten with all their rich passengers to enjoy the festivities. It is basically a giant party on the whole island and it is quite the sight!! So on Sunday we went to the Kim Shaw beach party. It had booths with beer & food and live music the whole day/night right on the beach. The featured band was a reggae band called the Whalers. It was really fun and I am glad I took some time off to enjoy it....but of course, Monday was a rough day in class after a day of partying on the beach :)
Mike has been keeping himself very busy and is still enjoying his time here :) He works quite a bit, which is nice b/c then I don't feel bad studying so much. He still has his 2 tutoring jobs and is working as a fake patient for students to interview at my school, and he still occasionally works as a substitute at the grade school. His big news recently though is that he decided to do an olympic length triathalon here on the island in June so he has begun training for that. I believe the distances are 1500 m swim, 10 km run, 40 km bike. So he has been following a training program and has been working out a ton! For example, yesterday he ran for ~40 min and swam for ~40 min. Today he is doing an 80 min bike and lifting weights. Yikes! I keep teasing him that he is going to waste away on me so I try to remind him to eat a little more! Haha....and I can barely find time to go for a walk :) But Mike is really enjoying all of the activity and I think he will do great in the triathalon!
This week I have been studying like crazy & Mike has been working, working out, and hanging out with friends. Tonight we are going out to dinner for a friend's birthday and I will have to come straight home to study but Mike is going to stay out with some friends (spouses, etc. who are not in school!) and have some fun! I need to study though because next Monday is my 3rd set of block exams and I really want to do well! The 3 exams Monday are in Molecular & Cellular Biology II, Immunology & Infection, and Physiology. I can't wait to get them over with!!
This Sunday we have our college spring breakers coming to visit! The 4 visitors will be my brother Jared, my cousin Erin, Mike's brother Alex, & Alex's friend Jarid. Mike and I are so excited to have them here! I am sad that I won't be able to hang out much on Sunday b/c I will be studying for Monday's exams but once the exams are over I will be fairly free to hang out! I am especially excited for next Friday when we are going on an all day catamaran cruise around the island with our visitors and some friends. The cruise goes around the whole island and includes lunch on the beach & unlimited rum punch & heineken (uh oh!) and we get to go snorkelling!! It should be a good time and I can't wait to have visitors. But the fun doesn't stop there...the week after we have Joelle & Dane and the Cressman's visiting, and then at the beginning of April my parents will be coming, and then it sounds like Mike's parents will be visiting near the end of April during my break between spring & summer semesters. Wow! It is so exciting to have visitors and be able to show them where we live :)
Well that is all I can think of for now! I will try to write again soon and add some pictures too. In the meantime I look forward to keeping in touch with everyone! It has been so nice to have internet again and it has been really nice to catch up with some of you over the phone! Others I have been playing phone tag with or trying to find time to call, but as always if you want to say hi go ahead and call or email or whatever. I would love to know what is going on in your lives and I love talking & catching up when there is time (which can be hard to find) ...it makes me feel like we are not so far away from home!
Miss you all SO very much!!
Carly & Mike
Thursday, March 12, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment