Sunday, February 22, 2009

FINALLY...INTERNET!!

So by the title of this blog, you have probably figured out that we finally got internet in our apartment! So exciting! I am working on making calls to everyone but if feel free to call us anytime if you want to chat...don't wait for my slow butt to get around to calling :) Haha. And we do have voicemail so as long as you leave a message we will get back to you! The internet we have is much better than the one we had last semester. It is kindof funny though...the company we originally tried to go with at the beginning of this semster STILL has not called us to set up the internet. So if we had stuck with them we would still be waiting for internet. We go other interet but decided to stay on their list and see how long it takes them to call us to set up an appointment just to see how long it will be...we are on 7 weeks right now!

As I wrote in the last blog, I had a big set of exams last Monday. I felt incredibly prepared for these exams but ironically they were my worst exams of med school yet...3 B's! Don't get me wrong, I am OK with B's but I have my eyes set on Dean's List again so I would like to get my A's back. But I still have 2 more exams in each class and a final left so I should be able to pull my grades up where I want them. And I do feel like I really know the material so that is what coundts in the long run I guess. On a positive, I did get Honors in the Biostatistics class that I finished the week before (it was only 1 credit, but an A is still nice!)

Last week, I took some time off of studying after the exams and Mike and I had some fun. On Tuesday we went to the new movie "He's Just Not That Into You" with Micah & Katie. The boys were reluctant to go but we convinced them that it was our Valentine's Gift. During the movie, I caught the boys cracking up a few times so I don't think they hated it ;) On Wednesday night, Mike and I went out for dinner to celebrate a belated V-Day. We went to a restaurant called Bamboo Bernie's that is super nice and has sushi and other Asian dishes. We loved the food and we both decided that it was the best meal we had had so far on the island (I have put some pictures of the dinner below this blog).

While on the island, we have made a rule not to give gifts to each other for any holidays since we are trying to save money and there isn't a mall or anything here to shop at! Well, neither of us technically broke the rule but we ended up giving each other something anyway. I made Mike a card with all of my fancy highlighters :) Mike secretly found some candy hearts on the island (a huge bag that is almost gone already!) and he made me a spreadsheet of clinical sites and specialties. It sounds like a strange gift but I was really excited about it b/c it was something I had been meaning to do for a while and I didn't even realize I had told him about it...it was just really thoughtful! (What a guy!) To explain, this is just a spreadsheet of places I can do rotations in the US during my 3rd & 4th year. It seems like a daunting task to plan out 2 years of clinicals and you all know how organized I usually am and how I like to plan ahead so it is just something I really wanted to do so that I could see where life may take us after we leave St. Maarten next year.

This weekend we spent Friday having some drinks by the pool of the resort next to us and on Saturday we went to a beach that is on the other side of the island. Overall it was a very nice weekend but now I have taken enough time off of studying so I am spending the day with my books and Mike is with Micah & Katie at the beach doing a little skimming (what else!) The next couple of weeks will be pretty boring for me because I am planning on studying a TON before our string of visitors begins...I can't wait!!! First we have my parents visiting for a week. Then, the next week my brother & cousin, and Mike's brother & his friend are all coming for their spring break. Then, the next week we have Joelle & Dane and the Cressman's coming to our island. It should be a GREAT time and I can't wait to share our island with everyone!!

Goodbye for now. Miss you all!!

Carly & Mike


(This is the restaurant...kindof hard to see but it was really cool)









(Mike & me with our meals)












(Mike & me)









(We traded meals half way through so we could try each others and Mike tried to make his look really nice before he passed it over and I thought it was funny so I had to take a picture)

No comments:

Post a Comment