Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Perfect Example of Island Time :)

Happy Wednesday everyone!

So as most of you know...we have been waiting and waiting to get internet setup in our apartment down here since we got back at the beginning of January. When we got back we decided to get better internet so we signed up with "Company A". Well, being on an island where everyone moves at their own pace, we figured it would be a couple of weeks before someone came to our apartment to setup internet...no big deal. But, after a month of waiting and a few "friendly" calls to the company, we were about to switch and try another provider when a worker finally showed up at our apartment to install the DSL line! (I know, DSL...what year is it? Haha) But, when he and the apartment management went to look at our phone line they informed us that it wasn't actually a phone line (even though it is) and that we couldn't get 'Company A's' internet in our apartment and we would have to go with the internet company that the apartment management "recommended". So, we said whatever! and went last week to sign up with the recommended 'Company B' who is supposed to come set up the internet on Monday! So we were all set....and then yesterday a worker from 'Company A' showed up at our apartment and informed Mike that we COULD get their internet and what we have actually IS a phone line. (haha we knew it!) So now we have 2 options for internet...but who knows how long it will take either of them to actually come to the apartment and install our internet! Oh Island life....the disorganization and slow pace never cease to amaze me! Haha :) So, moral of the story, we really should have internet soon (I am reluctant to put an actual date on it) so we can finally skype people and talk on the phone whenever we want! I never thought I was a phone person but now not having the option to talk on the phone for the past 6 weeks has really made me a phone person! :)

So, aside from our crazy internet hunt, life on the island has been chugging along like normal. This past weekend we decided it would be a good idea to make hommade pina coladas and grill out with some friends on Saturday night. They were delicious and it was a blast to hang out but on Sunday morning I began to regret all of those pina coladas when I had to wake up at 7 am to go set up the mock exam for the first semester Anatomy students. As an Anatomy TA, I am required to make a practice lab exam for the first semesters on the Sunday before each Block exam. So, I got to spend my Sunday morning sitting in the Anatomy lab with the cadavers making up questions with the other TAs while Mike slept in....I was so jelous!

Yesterday I had my final for Biostatistics (only a 1 credit course) so I am very happy to be done with that class. Next Monday, we have our 2nd Block exams so I will be studying for the rest of the week and the weekend. That means Mike and I will be spending our Valentines' Day with my head buried in a book and him reading/skimming/playing soccer. That's OK with me though b/c I have never been a huge fan of Valentines' Day...too cliche! I like celebrating LOVE and all but Mike and I have actually spent our last couple of Valentines' Days cooking in and making our favorite hommade taco pizza b/c we both hate how crowded all the restaurants are! But we can't find all the makings for our taco pizza here on the island so we may use this as an excuse to go out to dinner sometime next week after my tests are over...I'll take any excuse to go out to eat!! One thing I will say that I ABSOLUTELY LOVE about Valentines' Day is the Necco Sweetheart candy hearts (not those crappy Brahcs ones)! :) I am obsessed...I think I ate 2 huge bags by myself last year...oops! So I will be on a mission the rest of the week to find some on the island. Hehe :)

Anyway, I will use the upcoming Valentines' Day as an opportunity to say how much I love all of you amazing friends and family and how lucky I feel to have so many great people in my life!! I hope you all have a lovely Valentines' Day and get to appreciate all the great people you love in your life (friends, family, husbands/wives, boyfriends/girlfriends, etc!).

Well, now I am going to go bury my face in my books for the next few days. I REALLY REALLY hope we get internet soon so we can talk to you all soon. Get ready for many many Skypes & phone calls when we do get internet!! Miss you all SO much!!

Love,

Carly

No comments:

Post a Comment