Sunday, November 15, 2009

A busy couple of weeks!!

Wow, I can't believe we are halfway through November already! Time sure has flown during these past few weeks...and now we are down to 1 month until we come home for the holidays...woohoo!! :)

So to update you on our activities during the past couple of weeks:

On Sunday, November 1st Mike competed in the Lowlands Triathlon. It was close to our house on a really nice beach called Plum Bay. The triathlon was just a sprint distance (750m swim, 15km bike, 5k run) so Mike had a pretty easy time with it. The swim was really fun to watch because I sat out on a point and the sun was coming up over the island just as the swimmers started the race so I had a beautiful view! I am sure the swim was pretty tough for the competitors though because it was really wavy! I could tell some of the swimmers were struggling but they had a kayaker there just in case anyone needed help. Mike didn't have any trouble though and he kicked butt and was the 3rd person out of the water! After the swim he had the bike and it was a bit scary to watch because there was a really steep hill that came blindly into the area with all of the spectators so the bikers would come racing down the hill and I was sure a little kid was going to get hit or something...but no one got hit!! After the bike Mike had the running portion (his least favorite leg of the race) but he did great and finished strong even though it was a really hilly and difficult 5km that he had to run!

A view of the pretty sunrise sky and wavy conditions before the race started










Mike coming fast down the steep hill on the biking course

















The week after Mike's traithlon I had a ton studying to do for my exams which were coming up the following week. But the Friday before my exams there was a band called Orange Grove playing at a bar nearby and Mike and I both really wanted to go see them. So I decided that I would take a break from studying for the night and it was definitely worth it because they were great! They sounded a lot like Sublime and there was a huge crowd so it was really fun. And, I even got to meet some of Mike's French buddies that he swims with every week...so all in all it was a fun night!

So this past week I had a bunch of exams (4 of them) and they actually went really well...even though I took the Friday before off from studying! ;) After exams were over we spent the day at the beach and later had some friends over to play card games and just hang out, and then this past Friday we went out for a friend's birthday and then out to the bars after. We went to our favorite old Buccaneer Beach Bar that we always go to and they had a giant teeter-totter on the beach by the bonfire so we had fun playing on that! :)

A day at the beach after exams were over!













A beautiful sky and sailboat view to end our fun day at the beach!

















The fun teeter-totter at Buccaneer Beach Bar!













This Saturday we went on an adventure with our friends Frank & Alexis to find a new beach called Wilderness Beach. It is on the French side and you have to hike about 1 mile along the coast to get to there. The hike was pretty easy (we wore flip-flops but wished we had worn tennis shoes) and the views were AMAZING! We even saw a shipwrecked sailboat along the way! After hiking the mile we came into Wilderness Beach and I am not going to lie...I was a little disappointed! The beaches on this island are just so beautiful so I was expecting the same of this beach but it turned out to be just OK. Haha I guess I am becoming a beach snob! I just had this one built up in my mind though because I figured if you have to hike a mile to get to the beach it is probably pretty awesome...well I was wrong because even though the beach was nice it was not nearly as nice as a lot of the other beaches here! Either way though, it was totally worth it to go to Wilderness Beach because the hike was a lot of fun and the views were beautiful and it is always fun to try somewhere different...even if the beach is just OK! ;)

View on the hike to Wilderness Beach










Shipwrecked sailboat we saw on our hike










Hike to Wilderness Beach










Hike to Wilderness Beach










Wilderness Beach!!










Today Mike went for a bikeride around this island with a friend of his and we finished off our nice weekend with breakfast at our favorite French bakery! It has been such a nice weekend and it has been great to relax for a couple of days with no studying...but now it is back to the books for the next month until we come home! I am really in the holiday spirit because I put up our Christmas lights this weekend and I love how our festive our apartment looks...it is making me count down the days until we come back to snow! I usually don't like to put lights up before Thanksgiving, but I figure we are leaving here before Christmas so we could put them up a bit early!! :)

Well I hope everyone is doing well and we can't wait to see you all in 1 month...WOOHOO!!! :)

~Carly & Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment