Sunday, October 25, 2009

October Activities

Since the last post, I have had another set of exams and they went great again! (it seems like every time I write another Block has just finished or is looming around the corner...they seem to come up so often lately!) I have also started my clinical medicine course which includes being tested on physical exams and interviewing standardized patients (luckily I don't have to interview Mike this semester!) So I have been busy with school as always!

Mike recently competed in a duathlon (5k run, 20k bike, 2.5k run) and a 10k running race. Next Sunday, Nov. 1st, he will be competing in another triathlon. He is also considering joining a team to run a relay race around the entire island later in November. The relay race is a really cool event where each team has 10 people and they split up the distance to run around the entire island. I may or may not join the team as well...but I don't get to run as much as I would like down here so I may just opt to be a spectator since I am not quite as in shape as Mike and the other athletes! :)

Other than school, work, and athletic competitions, we have been trying to enjoy the island as much as we can. After my last set of block exams it was kindof a gloomy day so instead of going to the beach Mike and I went to a little boat bar on the beach near the airport and watched the planes come in...it was really fun! Last weekend, we went out with some friends to the Sunset Beach Bar and then to the fancy outdoor nightclub Bliss. It was a fun night as always!

The group out at Bliss Nightclub













This weekend we took it easy and didn't go out at night at all because Mike had to work and I have a lot of studying to catch up on. But yesterday (Saturday) we did take the day to go explore a NEW beach on the island. We have been to almost every beach here but this is one that we have not tried yet. The new beach, called Happy Bay, is one that you can only get to by hiking from another beach. The hike was an easy one (we wore flip-flops!) and we walked up on the hill right along the coastline and had a beautiful view of the ocean. At the end of the hike we walked through a field and came into the beautiful, secluded Happy Bay which was lined by palm trees! We had a great day at the beach and we will definitely be going back to this beach because it was a really pretty hike to get there and the beach itself was gorgeous!

The view on the hike to Happy Bay













Happy Bay











































On the hike back from Happy Bay we again had to cross a field and we ran into a bunch of cows grazing! It was pretty random to be right next to a tropical beach and have a cow grazing right there! Then, just as we got to the end of the hiking trail and back to our car, a huge raincloud appeared and it started pouring...so I guess we picked the right time to leave! After the beach we came home and made one of our favorite meals...hommade taco pizza!! Mmmm!! So all in all it was a pretty nice little Saturday we had yesterday! :)

A black cow in the field with the beach in the background!














In the next few weeks Mike has his various athletic events coming up and I will of course be spending most of my time studying. But we do have some exciting plans for November including going to another new beach called Wilderness beach (which you have to hike like 30 min to get to), going to the Westin hotel for a Thanksgiving Brunch, and we are also planning on renting a boat for a day and going around the lagoon and to some secluded beaches! So I am excited for the weekends coming up in November!

I hope everyone is doing well and we miss you all TONS!! :)

~Carly & Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment