After completing the grueling, but exciting Surgery rotation, I began my Psychiatry rotation in November. I have to admit that I was NOT very excited for this rotation....although I find the subject matter very interesting, this specialty just isn't my cup of tea. I spent my 6 weeks on a locked down, inpatient floor at NUMC with some seriously mentally ill patients. I learned a lot about many serious conditions, including Schizophrenia, Bipolar Disorder, Depression, Drug-Induced Psychosis, and more. Although the patients were very ill, a lot of them were very endearing and it was difficult not to hope for a complete recovery from their mental illness, which wasn't very realistic. My favorite patient was an elderly African-American man who had been found living on the streets. He was incredibly sweet and essentially harmless, but he did suffer from very delusional thinking and Schizophrenia. He would often tell me about his past, including being an army general and later the "white" President of the United States! And he was often found in the common area dancing to music only he could hear. The ending to his story was both happy and sad. Because his mental illness had become so severe after years without treatment, it was not safe for him to live on his own...so he was accepted to a supported group home near the end of my rotation.
During November and December, Michael and I also had some great times with visitors. First, we had Mike's family come out to visit in November. It was so much fun to have them out here! We spent most of our time in Manhattan and spent time with the cousins, Anne & Jean, and other NYC friends. We did all of the typical sightseeing, and we had many fun dinners and nights out on the town. We even made it to Brooklyn one night for a concert! Overall, it was a great time!
Mike in Battery Park, with a view of the Statue of Liberty
Brian & Alex enjoying the view
Pretty Hudson River view
We also had visits from our friends Mary and Sara. Mary was in NYC for work over Thanksgiving weekend and came out from MN early to stay with us for a couple of days. It was a short visit, but we had a great time showing her around Long Island a bit. I also got to spend a whole day with her in Manhattan walking around the city before I had to let her get to work!
Sara took the quick trip up from Washington, D.C. for a weekend in December. We did all the daytime sightseeing with her and also brought her to a holiday party with all of our new NYC friends! The day she left, Sara and I also got to have coffee and walk on the Brooklyn Bridge, have a nice lunch, and chat over a couple glasses of wine!
Mary & me in Central Park!
Sara with some NYC Christmas decorations!

Sara & Mike in Central Park!

No comments:
Post a Comment