I haven't written a blog in a while so I figured I would give an update!
After Mike's triathlon, we kindof took it easy for the week so he could recover and so I could study! Although he didn't take much of a break and only took 1 day off before he was waking up in the morning to work out again...I guess he is just addicted :) I had my 2nd set of Block exams the next week and I am happy to say they went really well! Yay!
The week after my exams, I felt really run down and I thought that it was just a result of studying so much, etc. But it turns out that it was most likely the Swine flu! Crazy! Don't freak out though because even though everyone is making such a big deal about it, it is still JUST the flu and I am feeling 100% better now a couple of weeks later. But the story is...it turns out a CPR instructor came in from off the island and she brought the Swine flu with her but didn't know she had it. So before anyone knew she had the flu, a few people in my school caught it and then since we all sit in lecture halls together everyday, it spread to some others. So they started asking people to come in to get tested and quite a few students tested positive for the H1N1 virus and were quarantined at their house. I never went in to get 'officially' tested so I cannot 100% say that I had the Swine flu but I am pretty positive it was because I caught it right when it was going around and I had all the symptoms. The reason I didn't want to go in to get tested was because everyone was freaking out so much about it on the island and I didn't want to be an "official" case. So I just followed the health officials' advice and stayed home during the contagious period and got lots of rest, etc. and now I feel fine and I am back in the swing of things! And everyone at school that had the flu is healthy now and it stopped spreading since all of us stayed home when we were sick. And amazingly, Mike never caught the flu even though we live together in a tiny apartment...which leads me to believe maybe he was just an asymptomatic carrier...either way he stayed healthy though! It is still pretty crazy that this Swine flu pandemic even made it to our island out here in the middle of the ocean...haha!
I was totally better by early last week so on Wednesday we went with some friends to the opening night of Transformers 2 and it was quite the experience! Normally, I would never want to go an opening night of a movie because I don't like how crowded it gets, but we had a friend that gathered a group to go so we thought, why not? So the first showing was at 9:20 pm and we got there plenty early but a HUGE line had formed and we had to wait to be let into the theater. So we waited, and waited, and waited, and the start time for the movie approached and we wondered when we were going to be seated? It turns out that the geniuses that work at the movie theater decided that they wanted to seat the Transformers crowd early, so they cut the movie playing BEFORE ours early, even though there were paying customers still watching it! So I guess there was a mini-riot in the theater because the movie-watchers refused to leave until they got to see the end of the movie they had paid for....and rightfully so! So the whole plan by the theater staff backfired and we ended up getting let in for our movie about 30 minutes later than the scheduled start time because they still had to finish the movie that was showing before ours...it was so sad that it was amusing and it was a PERFECT example of the lack of organization or scheduling here in the island...hahaha!! :) And then actually watching the Transformers movie in a packed theater with the locals was hilarious because the crowd got so into in....everyone laughed at EVERY joke and commented on the movie...it was kindof fun!
This weekend, Mike and I went out to dinner at a fun restaurant called Jimbo's that has giant fishbowl sized margaritas....yummy!! The dinner was on my parents because they wanted us to go out for a "congratulations" dinner for Mike finishing his triathlon....thanks Mom & Dad!! Today we spent the morning at one of our favorite beaches, Bay Rouge. It was very pleasant except for the family (parents & a teenage son) that decided to sit by us and the parents stripped down! It was not the most pleasant sight, but I felt the most bad for the son who was sitting there wearing his normal board shorts next to his naked parents...akward!! I guess I am just not that cultured because nudity is still strange to me :) It pretty funny though because although no beach here is 'officially' nude, ANY beach CAN be a nude beach if people want to make it one...so you really can't escape it! But the rule does seem to fit that the less attractive people are usually the ones that take their clothes off...haha!! :)
This week will just be like any other...study study study for me and work, volunteer, & workout for Mike! Only 1 more month until we get to come home for a little bit for Heather & Spencer's wedding...so excited for you guys! And hopefully we will get to see most of you when we are back. I am only back for about 1 week because the wedding is actually in the middle of my semester but Mike will be back for a little longer! We can't wait!
Miss you all!!
Carly & Mike
Sunday, June 28, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment